Ian Crawford and The Boomerangs

Ian Crawford  Vocals
Cec Moseley Lead Guitar
Albie Sayers Bass Guitar
Ray Arnfield  aka Masters Rhythm Guitar
Bernie Byrnes Drums
other members included:
Dave Blakeley Vocals 
Trevor Morais Drums
(ex Farons Flamingos)


Ces Moseley, Alby Sayers, Ray Arnfield (aka. Ray Masters) and myself had been, until October 1962 with Johnny Peters, as The Crestas. ( I joined on Dec 27th '61.)

Ian Crawford had emigrated to Australia as a 15 year old, got into the music business, had a couple of hits over there, been on a few Aussie tv shows and returned to Britain to further his career.

When we saw Ian's scrap book we all thought that this was the move that was going to be the one to make it to the " Big Time". So we left Johnny and became Ian's backing group.

Our first gig was four weeks at the Savoy Club in Hannover, Germany.

The promoter, Jo Girscher, had an option on us to the effect that if we did well he could book us for a further two weeks. Well, hHe ripped us off good style.

After the intial four weeks money had been paid he took up the option but only paid us in dribs and drabs so that we couldn't come home. All this took place in the worst winter in living memory in Germany.

To cut a long story short, we ditched Girscher and went to work for peanuts at the Top Ten Club Hamburg for Peter Eckhorn to get enough money together to get home.

We eventually got home in late Feb '63 to no gigs, with no money and it was still freezing over here.

Would I have missed it? NO CHANCE!!!

Bernie Byrnes

I was interested to find out who this band were and where they sprang from, as a result of a long running research project on Middlesbrough.

On Friday July 12th 1963 they played The Outlook Club in Middlesbrough. This was a small basement coffee bar that operated as a dance and live-music venue in the evenings. It's capacity was probably no more than 250 people and the tiny stage rose little more than 12" (30 cms) above the dance floor

Courtesy Brian Swales

The promoter John McCoy was a very far sighted operator and booked bands/groups from the bourgeoning Liverpool and Manchester scenes on a twice weekly basis, i.e. on Fridays and Saturdays.

His greatest coup was the night after Ian Crawford & The Boomerangs played the club. On that Saturday night, July 13th '63, John McCoy had booked two bands. One was from Manchester, the other from London.

The London band had never played outside Greater London before, and this was by far the longest 'gig' journey they had ever made.

The gig was billed as 'The North v. The South'  in a tiny advertisement in the local paper, the 'Evening Gazette' on July 12th.

The bands? These were 'The Hollies' and another motley troupe of musicians called 'The Rolling Stones'.

As to why The Stones left their comfort-zone of the Home counties/Greater London to play a one-off gig 240 miles up the A.1. (it was not part of a tour) is anybody's guess. It has been suggested that the £65.00 fee was maybe too good to pass up, or that they were 'testing the water' as to how their brand of R&B/ Rock n' roll went down 'up north'

Nevertheless, their recording of Chuck Berry's 'Come On' (released in June '63) began to chart shortly afterwards, and both 'The Stones' and the 'Hollies' ( 1st release 'Just like me') soon began to enjoy a period of phenomenal success within months of this iconic night.

The £65.00 booking fees paid in miniscule venues were as a result soon long forgotten. I wonder what Ian Crawford's band was paid, just 24hrs before?

Chris Bailey

According the John McCoy the night in July 1963 when the Stones played the Outlook club in Middlesbrough, it was a one off mates favour for John by the Stones’ co-managers at the time Eric Easton & Andrew Loog Oldham. John, Andrew & Eric used to drink together in the Roundhouse pub in Wardour Street, Soho, London. The contract for the gig was signed between John McCoy & Eric Easton and signed by Brian Jones. The fee was £65 cash and Brian Jones subbed three packs of Players cigarettes off John McCoy!

Brian Swales

Ian Crawford and the Boomerangs formed with a line-up of Ian Crawford on lead vocals, Cec Moseley on lead guitar, Albie Sawyers on bass (b. Albert Sawyers), Ray Masters on rhythm guitar (b. Raymond Arnfield) and Bernie Byrnes on drums (b. Bernard Byrnes).

On Friday, July 12, 1963 Ian Crawford and the Boomerangs played at The Outlook Club, 52 - 60 Corporation Road in  Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire, the night before The Rolling Stones and The Hollies played there. This was the Stones first gig outside of the London area. 

Later members of Ian Crawford and the Boomerangs was lead singer Dave Blakeley (b. David Blakeley) and drummer Trevor Morias.  

Morias had been in a number of Liverpool bands, starting out in The Hi-Hats in 1957, with a line-up of 14 year-old Eric London on oil drum bass (b. Wednesday, January 20, 1943, Liverpool, Lancashire, UK), 16 year-old Billy Jones on rhythm guitar, vocals (b. William Jones, 1941, 58 Orrell Lane, Aintree, Liverpool, Lancashire, UK), Herbie Lloyd on washboard (b. Herbert Lloyd, Liverpool, Lancashire, UK), 14 year-old Nicky Crouch on lead guitar, vocals (b. Nicholas Crouch, Tuesday, February 2, 1943, 11 Balmoral Road, Fairfield, Liverpool 6, Lancashire, UK) and 14 year-old Trevor Morias on drums (b. Trevor Gladstone Emanuel Morias, Saturday, October 16, 1943, Liverpool, Lancashire, UK). 

The members of the group had all been friend's at The Liverpool Mercury Cycling Club in Aintree and used to practice in each other's homes, but mainly at Jones' home at 58 Orrell Lane in Aintree. Initially they began to enter a number of skiffle contests held at a number of local venues. Crouch met Morias at a cycling club race. 

Crouch had started playing guitar at 12 in 1955 and at 14 in 1957 had formed The Hi-Hats at The Liverpool Mercury Cycling Club in Aintree, Liverpool. Marias also lived with Crouch for a while, as he did not get on with his family. Crouch's mother also brought her son a Hofner President guitar and Watkins 30 amp on HP. Crouch's mother signed up for HP, which cost about 3 shillings 6d a week. In all the guitar cost around £59 and was paid for in guineas. 

In 1959 The Hi-Hats turned from acoustic to electric and changed their name to The Ravens with Crouch on lead guitar, vocals, Jones on rhythm guitar, vocals, London on bass and Morais on drums. This new line-up did any gigs that came along like weddings, youth clubs gigs and dances. 

During 1961 they had a guy on lead vocals called Robin (b. Michael McPhillips) and the band became Robin and the Ravens. In September 1961 when still called The Ravens they met lead singer Faron (b. William Faron Ruffley, Thursday, January 8, 1942, Andrew Street, Walton, Liverpool 4, Lancashire, UK) (ex Faron and the Tempest Tornadoes, 1960 - July 1961), who was looking for a group. Faron joined The Ravens when his place in The Tempest Tornadoes was taken by lead singer Earl Preston (Gene Day) (b. George Joseph Spruce, Tuesday, December 22, 1942, Liverpool, Lancashire, UK) (ex-Gene Day and the Jango Beats, 1960 - 1961). Just before he joined The Ravens, Faron had gone to Hamburg, Germany with another Liverpool group Gerry and the Pacemakers. 

So the band then changed their name to Faron's Flamingos in September 1961. It seems the famous DJ Bob Wooler (b. Frederick James Wooler, Tuesday, January 19, 1926, Liverpool, Lancashire, UK d. Friday, February 8, 2002, Liverpool, Merseyside, UK), came up with the bands name while they were all standing at a bus stop and Wooler thought of Faron's Flamingos. Wooler was the DJ at the famous Cavern Club in Liverpool and introduced The Beatles to their manager Brian Epstein (b. Brian Samuel Epstein, Wednesday, September 19, 1934, Nursing Home, 4 Rodney Street, Liverpool 1, Lancashire, UK d. Sunday, August 27, 1967, at his home, 24 Chapel Street, Mayfair, West London, UK).  

For their first French Air Base Tour in May and June 1962 they added Liverpool singer Pam Connelly. 

Things began to go so well that the band decided to quit their day jobs and go professional, except for London, who was not prepared to take the risk and so left in January 1962 and joined semi-pro outfit, Group One (Feb - Oct 1962) and then quit the music biz. He was replaced by bassist Mushy Cooper (b. David Cooper) (ex-). 

In November 1963 Faron's Flamingos split and Morias joined Ian Crawford and the Boomerangs. 

After Morias left Ian Crawford and the Boomerangs he joined a Jazz trio The Peddlers formed in April 1964 with Roy Philips on lead vocals, organ (b. Roy Godfrey Philips, Monday, May 5, 1941, Parkstone, Poole, Dorset, UK), Tab Martin on bass (Gibson EB-2) (b. Alan Raymond Brearey, Sunday, December 24, 1944, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Northumbria, UK) and Morias on drums. 

Some Ian Crawford and the Boomerangs concerts: 

Friday, July 12, 1963: The Outlook Club, 52 - 60 Corporation Road, Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire, UK 

Thursday, September 5, 1963: The Gaumont Cinema, Taunton, Somerset, UK, with The Beatles, plus Mike Berry and the Innocents, Freddy Starr and the Midnighters, Rocking Henry and the Hayseeds. The compere was Ted King  

John H. Warburg



UK singles
Rockin Robin / Don't Let Her Be Your Baby (1964)

Another Tear Falls / Fun Fun Fun (1965)

German singles

Venus in Blue Jeans

Add a Comment to this page

Please note: All comments are moderated and will not appear straight away. Please do not re-send.
Sorry ... but personal messages not related to the purpose of Manchesterbeat may not be added to the site

Comments (1)

Topic: Ian Crawford and The Boomerangs
John H. Warburg says...
Just added updated info.
12th April 2015 8:59pm

Copyright © manchesterbeat.com
All rights reserved. Unauthorized use of any content is strictly prohibited.

Please read our Disclaimer/Copyright Notice